(Q-0) Practice (not to be collected)
- What is Bayesian confirmation theory (Bayesian epistemology)? What is Bayes’ theorem?
- What is “confirmation” on Fitelson’s account?
- What is the problem of irrelevant conjunction (tacking paradox)?
- What is the argument (Glymour) that if x confirms some hypothesis H, then x confirms any J?
- How does Fitelson (Fitelson and Hawthorne) avoid this conclusion? Discuss.
- Why does Popper’s example show (or seem to show) that confirmation cannot be a probability?
October 19, and 25 (2013) blog: errorstatistics.com
(You may also mention Crupi and Tentori’s result)